The Journey

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Just got back from Chicago!

Mesha and I had a great weekend in Chicago! We went to the Shedd Aquarium and to Navy Pier and even hit up Magnificent Mile a little. The rest of the weekend was spent visiting with Mesha's college friends, who were really fun to get to know. We couldn't have asked for a better weekend wheather-wise either. It was in the low 90s and sunny the entire weekend. It was just so good to get away and spend some real quality time with my wife. We really just caught up with each other, laugh and enjoyed each other's company.
As with any trip, we had our adventures too. I have a couple of stories, but I am going to start with the trip home because the other story I want to post has a picture that I am waiting on to accompany it. The trip home started as any trip home from vacation starts. Mesha and I procrastinated our departure a little with a trip to a store and grabbing Chicago style pizza just before we left. On the way home, we remembered we were going to grab a Chicago shot-glass for one of Mesha's co-workers. We stopped at the very last oasis's on the road out of Chicago and sure enough they were out of them. We then stopped further north at a truck-stop and found a New York City shot-glass, but no Chicago shot glass???? We returned to the road with an Illinois shot glass (the next best thing) and were on our way. Well, I don't know if you are a fan of cruise control, but I am, especially on long trips. I am also not a fan of people on the road that aren't fans of cruise control on long trips. They always speed up and slow down and make it difficult to use cruise for me. Usually, this only causes stress for a short period of time and then the other car or I make a change and someone moves on. However, we had the weirdest encounter with another car that I have ever had, yesterday. We came up on a tan Honda from Illinois (JJ you can never make fun of MN drivers again!). This car was passing another couple of cars in the left lane. I had to slow down behind him until we both passed the other cars. So far, nothing out of the ordinary. However, it soon became obvious that this guy did not want me to pass him. He pulled back into the right lane after passing the other cars and I began to pass him. I promptly hit the gas and took off ahead of me. I thought that was weird, but I just pulled into the left lane and set my cruise again. Well, very quickly, I caught up to the Honda and began to pull around him a second time. He promptly sped up and this time cut in front of me to pass some cars (I think) that were about a mile in front of us. When he pulled in front of me, however, he quickly slowed down. This junk went on for like an hour or so. Some times he would be way a head of us for a little bit, but then he would slow down and harrass us again. The thing is, I don't think he had any clue that he was driving like a complete idiot! Well, if anyone doesn't know me that well, I am not very patient. I held it together for an hour and I am proud of that, but I had enough. After an hour of that junk, I just put the peddle to the medal and went like 90 for a few miles to put him way behind us. After that, I set my beloved cruise control and we never saw him again. Some people's kids!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger John Torkelson said…

    More like 85. She told me too!!!!

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    jenny our own dad would do that with us! I learned it by watching dad!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home