The Journey

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Life is busy, busy, busy.... I am part time at my ministry right now, so whenever I am at work, I feel like I have a hundred million things to do in a short amount of time. I am not complaining, but just stating the facts. In fact, I actually feel really good about all that I am accomplishing this week. It really feels good to acomplish goals and feel like you have done a job well. What is it about self-worth that is tied to accomplishments. From what I have heard from or read about in the Bible, we are to find our self-worth in our indentity as God's people. He has chosen us and identifying ourselves with Him is what brings us worth as a human beings. What stinks is that it is so easy to buy into the idea of looking to our accomplishments to establish our self-worth, even in ministry settings. This is especially foolish in a ministry setting because changed lives, which is the goal of ministry, are only accomplished by the work of God through the Holy Spirit. We can't even take credit for sucess in ministry, so we can't define our self-worth by those accomplishments. What is left? Defining our worth by realizing that God has already declared us worthy not by our own merits, but by his grace and mercy.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Chris Good said…

    Update your blog...right back at ya.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger Brenton Balvin said…

    John, I have heard great things about the trip to PowderRidge. Except for the ear lobe freezing temps I sounded awesome. 42 kids? Dang! I am so for you man, and I am grateful that I got to hand off a ministry to such a loving and caring man. Thanks for embracing your shephards heart and loving kids into the Kingdom. I am glad you're on our team.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home